Document Type : Original Article
1 Agricultural Biotechnology Department, Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, Imam Khomeini International University (IKIU), Qazvin, Iran
2 Department of Horticulture Science, Faculty of Agricultural and Natural Sciences, Imam Khomeini International University (IKIU), Qazvin, Islamic Republic of Iran
3 Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Faculty of Agricultural and Natural Sciences, Imam Khomeini International University (IKIU), Qazvin, Islamic Republic of Iran
4 Department of Microbiology, PSGVPM'S Arts, Science and Commerce College, Shahada, 425409 Maharashtra, India
Background: The present study was aimed to examine the influence of extraction method on the morphology, physico-chemical characteristics and antimicrobial properties of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) synthesized from Melissa officinalis.
Methods: AgNPs were prepared by two extraction methods. The properties of obtained nanoparticles were characterized by SEM, UV-Vis, XRD and FTIR techniques. SEM images showed different shape, size and morphology of AgNPs using two different extracts types.
Results: The UV-Vis spectroscopy confirmed the formation of AgNPs by observing a distinct surface Plasmon resonance band around 450 nm. SEM images showed different shape, size and morphology of AgNPs using two different extracts types. AgNPs derived from the aqueous extract were rod-shaped with a diameter of 19 to 40 nm whereas spherical particles were synthesized by the methanolic extract found smaller with size distribution ranging from 13 to 35 nm. The XRD pattern indicated that AgNPs formed by the reduction of Ag+ ions using the methanolic extract were crystal-like in nature. The functional groups of the methanolic extract involved in synthesis and stabilization of AgNPs were investigated by FTIR. In addition, AgNPs containing methanolic extract showed higher antioxidant activity.
Conclusion: The disc diffusion and agar well diffusion methods revealed the antimicrobial potential of these particles exhibited remarkable antimicrobial activity against Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria and a fungus. The production of silver nanoparticles using plant extract is rapid, low cost and eco-friendly. Silver nanoparticles can be used as an antiseptic to sterilize the surrounding area and the hospital wastes.
- Suganthy N, Ramkumar V S, Pugazhendhi A, Benelli G, Archunan G. (2018). Biogenic synthesis of gold nanoparticles from Terminalia arjuna bark extract: assessment of safety aspects and neuroprotective potential via antioxidant, anticholinesterase, and antiamyloidogenic effects. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25(11): 10418-10433.
- Khutale G V, Casey A. (2017). Synthesis and characterization of a multifunctional gold-doxorubicin nanoparticle system for pH triggered intracellular anticancer drug release. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 119: 372-380.
- Zarayneh S, Sepahi A A, Jonoobi M, Rasouli H. (2018). Comparative antibacterial effects of cellulose nanofiber, chitosan nanofiber, chitosan/cellulose combination and chitosan alone against bacterial contamination of Iranian banknotes. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 118: 1045-1054.
- Khan I, Saeed K, Khan I. (2019). Nanoparticles: Properties, applications and toxicities. Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 12(7): 908-931.
- Rasouli H, Popović-Djordjević J, Sayyed R, Zarayneh S, Jafari M, Fazeli-Nasab B. (2020). Nanoparticles: a new threat to crop plants and soil Rhizobia? Sustainable Agriculture Reviews 41 (pp. 201-214): Springer.
- Rasouli H. (2019). Devil's hand conceals behind the obscure side of AgNPs: A letter to the editor. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 125: 510-513.
- Rasouli H, Hosseini-Ghazvini S M-B, Khodarahmi R. (2019). Therapeutic potentials of the most studied flavonoids: highlighting antibacterial and antidiabetic functionalities Studies in natural products chemistry (Vol. 60, pp. 85-122): Elsevier.
- Fazeli Nasab B. (2019). Evaluation of Antibacterial Activities of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Saffron Petals on Some Bacterial Pathogens. Journal of Medical Bacteriology, 8(5-6): 8-20.
- Mohammadi-Motlagh H-R, Shokohinia Y, Mojarrab M, Rasouli H, Mostafaie A. (2017). 2-Methylpyridine-1-ium-1-sulfonate from Allium hirtifolium: An anti-angiogenic compound which inhibits growth of MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells through cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induction. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 93: 117-129.
- Behravan M, Panahi A H, Naghizadeh A, Ziaee M, Mahdavi R, Mirzapour A. (2019). Facile green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Berberis vulgaris leaf and root aqueous extract and its antibacterial activity. International journal of biological macromolecules, 124: 148-154.
- Ashraf A, Zafar S, Zahid K, Shah M S, Al-Ghanim K A, Al-Misned F, Mahboob S. (2019). Synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial potential of silver nanoparticles synthesized from Coriandrum sativum L. Journal of Infection and Public Health, 12(2): 275-281.
- Khodadadi S, Mahdinezhad N, Fazeli-Nasab B, Heidari M J, Fakheri B, Miri A. (2021). Investigating the Possibility of Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Vaccinium arctostaphlyos Extract and Evaluating Its Antibacterial Properties. BioMed Research International, 2021.
- Abdel-Naime W A, Fahim J R, Fouad M A, Kamel M S. (2016). Botanical studies of the leaf of Melissa officinalis L., Family: Labiatae, cultivated in Egypt. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 5(6): 98.
- de Jesús Ruíz-Baltazar Á, Reyes-López S Y, Larrañaga D, Estévez M, Pérez R. (2017). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using a Melissa officinalis leaf extract with antibacterial properties. Results in Physics, 7: 2639-2643.
- Thaipong K, Boonprakob U, Crosby K, Cisneros-Zevallos L, Byrne D H. (2006). Comparison of ABTS, DPPH, FRAP, and ORAC assays for estimating antioxidant activity from guava fruit extracts. Journal of food composition and analysis, 19(6-7): 669-675.
- Bauer A. (1966). Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disc method. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 45: 149-158.
- Andrews J M. (2001). The development of the BSAC standardized method of disc diffusion testing. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 48(suppl_1): 29-42.
- Bauer A, Kirby W, Sherris J C, Turck M. (1966). Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. American journal of clinical pathology, 45(4_ts): 493-496.
- Walther C. (2003). Comparison of colloid investigations by single particle analytical techniques-a case study on thorium-oxyhydroxides. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 217(1-3): 81-92.
- Jain S, Mehata M S. (2017). Medicinal plant leaf extract and pure flavonoid mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their enhanced antibacterial property. Scientific Reports, 7(1): 1-13.
- Machado R, Alves-Pereira I, Ferreira R. (2018). Plant growth, phytochemical accumulation and antioxidant activity of substrate-grown spinach. Heliyon, 4(8): 1-21.
- Solidum R S, Alguno A C, Capangpangan R Y. (2018). Controlling the surface plasmon absorption of silver nanoparticles via green synthesis using Pennisetum purpureum leaf extract. Paper presented at the Key Engineering Materials.
- Palem R R, Ganesh S D, Kroneková Z, Sláviková M, Saha N, Sáha P. (2018). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and biopolymer nanocomposites: a comparative study on physico-chemical, antimicrobial and anticancer activity. Bulletin of Materials Science, 41(2): 1-11.
- Hafez R A, Abdel-Wahhab M A, Sehab A F, El-Din A-Z A K. (2017). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Morus nigra leave extract and evaluation their antifungal potency on phytopathogenic fungi. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 7(02): 041-048.
- Keshari A K, Srivastava R, Singh P, Yadav V B, Nath G. (2020). Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized by Cestrum nocturnum. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, 11(1): 37-44.
- Salehi S, Shandiz S A S, Ghanbar F, Darvish M R, Ardestani M S, Mirzaie A, Jafari M. (2016). Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Artemisia marschalliana Sprengel aerial part extract and assessment of their antioxidant, anticancer, and antibacterial properties. International journal of nanomedicine, 11: 1835.
- Pallela P, Ummey S, Ruddaraju L K, Pammi S V N, Yoon S G. (2018). Ultra Small, mono dispersed green synthesized silver nanoparticles using aqueous extract of Sida cordifolia plant and investigation of antibacterial activity. Microb Pathog, 124: 63-69. 10.1016/j.micpath.2018.08.026
- Khatami M, Noor F G, Ahmadi S, Aflatoonian M. (2018). Biosynthesis of Ag nanoparticles using Salicornia bigelovii and its antibacterial activity. Electronic Physician, 10(4): 1-8.
- Moodley J S, Krishna S B N, Pillay K, Govender P. (2018). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from Moringa oleifera leaf extracts and its antimicrobial potential. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 9(1): 1-10.
- Raza M A, Kanwal Z, Rauf A, Sabri A N, Riaz S, Naseem S. (2016). Size-and shape-dependent antibacterial studies of silver nanoparticles synthesized by wet chemical routes. Nanomaterials, 6(4): 74.
- Kamdem J P, Adeniran A, Boligon A A, Klimaczewski C V, Elekofehinti O O, Hassan W, Ibrahim M, Waczuk E P, Meinerz D F, Athayde M L. (2013). Antioxidant activity, genotoxicity and cytotoxicity evaluation of lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L.) ethanolic extract: Its potential role in neuroprotection. Industrial Crops and Products, 51: 26-34.
- Mittal A K, Chisti Y, Banerjee U C. (2013). Synthesis of metallic nanoparticles using plant extracts. Biotechnology Advances, 31(2): 346-356.
- Shaik M R, Khan M, Kuniyil M, Al-Warthan A, Alkhathlan H Z, Siddiqui M R H, Shaik J P, Ahamed A, Mahmood A, Khan M. (2018). Plant-extract-assisted green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Origanum vulgare L. extract and their microbicidal activities. Sustainability, 10(4): 1-14.
- Shankar S S, Ahmad A, Sastry M. (2003). Geranium leaf assisted biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles. Biotechnology progress, 19(6): 1627-1631.
- Chiguvare H, Oyedeji O O, Matewu R, Aremu O, Oyemitan I A, Oyedeji A O, Nkeh-Chungag B N, Songca S P, Mohan S, Oluwafemi O S. (2016). Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Buchu Plant Extracts and Their Analgesic Properties. Molecules, 21(6): 774.
- Jyoti K, Baunthiyal M, Singh A. (2016). Characterization of silver nanoparticles synthesized using Urtica dioica Linn. leaves and their synergistic effects with antibiotics. Journal of Radiation Research and Applied Sciences, 9(3): 217-227.
- Panáček A, Kolář M, Večeřová R, Prucek R, Soukupova J, Kryštof V, Hamal P, Zbořil R, Kvítek L. (2009). Antifungal activity of silver nanoparticles against Candida spp. Biomaterials, 30(31): 6333-6340.
- Rao N H, N L, Pammi S V, Kollu P, S G, P L. (2016). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using methanolic root extracts of Diospyros paniculata and their antimicrobial activities. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl, 62: 553-557. 10.1016/j.msec.2016.01.072
- Pethakamsetty L, Kothapenta K, Nammi H R, Ruddaraju L K, Kollu P, Yoon S G, Pammi S V N. (2017). Green synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles using methanolic root extracts of Diospyros sylvatica. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 55: 157-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jes.2016.04.027
- Morones J R, Elechiguerra J L, Camacho A, Holt K, Kouri J B, Ramírez J T, Yacaman M J. (2005). The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology, 16(10): 2346.
- Perumalla A, Hettiarachchy N S. (2011). Green tea and grape seed extracts—Potential applications in food safety and quality. Food Research International, 44(4): 827-839.
- Korshed P A. (2018). The molecular mechanisms of the antimicrobial properties of laser processed nano-particle (PhD thesis): The University of Manchester (United Kingdom).
- Umadevi M, Rani T, Balakrishnan T, Ramanibai R. (2011). Antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles prepared under an ultrasonic field. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology, 4: 1491-1496.
- Anees Ahmad S, Sachi Das S, Khatoon A, Tahir Ansari M, Afzal M, Saquib Hasnain M, Kumar Nayak A. (2020). Bactericidal activity of silver nanoparticles: A mechanistic review. Materials Science for Energy Technologies, 3: 756-769. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mset.2020.09.002