Document Type : Original Article


1 Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran

2 Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Non-Communicable Diseases Center, Ilam University of Medical ‎Sciences, Ilam, Iran‎

3 Student Research Committee, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran

4 Faculty of Medicine, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran ‎


Background: COVID-19 is a systemic infection with a significant impact on the hematopoietic system and hemostasis. Infected subjects are at high risk for coagulation diseases such as venous thromboembolism.
Objectives: The aim of the present study was to investigate the consequences of delayed referral of patients with COVID-19 in Ilam.
Methods: In this investigation, a present prospective study was performed in 2020 on the registry data of patients with COVID-19 disease in the infectious ward of Shahid Mostafa Khomeini Hospital in Ilam. In this study, the effect of delay in hospitalization from the onset of the first symptom of the disease on death and intubation of patients in special and general wards in 2350 patients with COVID-19 was investigated. The statistical software of SPSS 16 was used for analyzing data.
Results: The results of univariate logistic regression analysis for the main causes of death due to COVID-19 disease according to hospitalization in ICU and general ward showed that the variables of age, sex, marital status, heart disease, blood pressure, diabetes, chronic lung disease, chronic disease Kidney, neurological disease, cancer, and delayed referral were statistically significant which were associated with death at the 5% error level. The chance of death for delayed referral in ICU patients is equal (OR ICU ADMISSION = 1.06; 95% CI, 1.01-1.12; P value=0.01) and in normal ward patients (OR =0.88; 95% CI, 0.79-0.97), the P-value=0.01 was obtained.
Conclusions: The final regression model which was adjusted to the other variables, in hospitalized patients, each day of delay in hospitalization meant a 0.08% increase in the odds of mortality rate and a 0.05% increase in the odds of intubation.

Graphical Abstract

Determine Consequences of Delay in Referring to Hospital in ‎Patients with COVID-19 in Shahid Mostafa Khomeini Hospital ‎of Ilam Province


Main Subjects

  1. Bogoch I I, Watts A, Thomas-Bachli A, Huber C, Kraemer M U G, Khan K. (2020). Pneumonia of unknown aetiology in Wuhan, China: potential for international spread via commercial air travel. J Travel Med., 27(2): taaa008. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  2. Zhu N, Zhang D, Wang W, Li X, Yang B, Song J. (2020). China Novel Coronavirus Investigating and Research Team. A Novel Coronavirus from Patients with Pneumonia in China, 2019. N Engl J Med., 382(8): 727-733. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  3. Sahu K K, Mishra A K, Lal A. (2020). Comprehensive update on current outbreak of novel coronavirus infection (2019-nCoV). Annals of translational medicine, 8(6): 393. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  4. National Committee on COVID-19 Epidemiology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, IR Iran. (2020). Daily Situation Report on Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Iran; March 16, 2020. Arch Acad Emerg Med., 8(1): e26. [Publisher]
  5. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, Zhu F, Liu X, Zhang J, Wang B. (2020). Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA., 323(11): 1061-1069. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  6. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, Zhu F, Liu X, Zhang J X, Peng Z. (2020). Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA., 323(11): 1061-1069. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  7. Lal A, Akhtar J, Jindal V, Ullah A. (2018). Rare Cause of Respiratory Failure: A Twist in the Tale. Ann Am Thorac Soc., 15(7): 880-883. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  8. Lal A, Akhtar J, Isaac S, Mishra A K, Khan M S, Noreldin M, Abraham G M. (2018). Unusual cause of chest pain, Bornholm disease, a forgotten entity; case report and review of literature. Respir Med Case Rep., 25: 270-273. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  9. Liu Y, Li J, Feng Y. (2020). Critical care response to a hospital outbreak of the 2019-nCoV infection in Shenzhen, China. Crit Care., 24(1): 56. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  10. Güner R, Hasanoğlu I, Aktaş F. (2020). COVID-19: Prevention and control measures in community. Turk J Med Sci., 50(SI-1): 571-577. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  11. Marini J J, Gattinoni L. (2020).  Management of COVID-19 Respiratory Distress. JAMA., 323(22): 2329-2330. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  12. Rong X M, Yang L, Chu H D, Fan M. (2020).  Effect of delay in diagnosis on transmission of COVID-19. Math Biosci Eng., 17(3): 2725-2740. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [PDF]
  13. Shiferaw M B, Zegeye A M. (2019). Delay in tuberculosis diagnosis and treatment in Amhara state, Ethiopia. BMC Health Serv Res., 19: 232. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  14. Htun Y M, Khaing T M M, Yin Y. et al. (2018). Delay in diagnosis and treatment among adult multidrug resistant tuberculosis patients in Yangon Regional Tuberculosis Center, Myanmar: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res., 18: 878 [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  15. Stjepanović M, Škodrić-Trifunović V, Radisavljević-Pavlović S. (2018). Patient, Healthcare System and Total Delay in Tuberculosis Diagnosis and Treatment Among Serbian Population. Acta Clin Croat., 57(2): 257-263. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  16. Peckham H, de Gruijter N M, Raine C, Radziszewska A, Ciurtin C, Wedderburn L R. et al. (2020). Male sex identified by global COVID-19 meta-analysis as a risk factor for death and ITU admission. Nature Communications., 11(1): 6317. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  17. Tian W, Jiang W, Yao J, Nicholson C J, Li R H, Sigurslid H H, et al. (2020). Predictors of mortality in hospitalized COVID‐19 patients: A systematic review and meta‐analysis., Journal of Medical Virology., 92(10): 1875-83. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
  18. Sorouri M, Kasaeian A, Mojtabavi H, Radmard A R, Kolahdoozan S, Anushiravani A, et al. (2020). Clinical characteristics, outcomes, and risk factors for mortality in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 and cancer history: a propensity score-matched study. Infectious Agents and Cancer., 15(1): 74. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]