Document Type : Review Article
1 Associate Professor of Neurology, Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Emam Khomeini Hospital, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
2 Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, School of Medicine, Emam Khomeini Hospital, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Background: Increasing the satisfaction of students with the advisors can help to improve the educational status of students. Therefore, this study aimed to investigate the performance of advisors from the viewpoint of medical students in Iran in the form of a systematic review.
Methods: In this study, all studies on the performance of advisors of universities of medical sciences were reviewed from the students' viewpoint and students' satisfaction with the professors' performance systematically. The national databases of Iran and international databases were searched and the data and articles were entered EndNote version 7.
Results: Results showed that 155 articles were searched at the first stage. 93 articles were excluded from the search at the first stage, and finally, a systematic review was conducted with 11 original articles. Also, 662 faculty members and 5697 students of 11 universities of the country including Kerman, Babol, Shiraz, Kurdistan, Rafsanjan, Alborz, Sabzevar, Urmia, Lorestan, Mashhad, and Semnan universities were investigated. Likewise, from the students' viewpoint, the professors' performance was in a range from poor to excellent. In addition, the level of satisfaction with the performance of the advisors from the students' viewpoint varied from poor to excellent.
Conclusion: According to the study results, it is suggested to hold training workshops on the necessary methods for the advisors’ principles while revising job description of advisors.
- Parsi B, Motevali Haghi F, Malekzadeh Shafarudi M, Eslamifar M, Barimani K. (2018). Study of academic failure and its associated factors on Students of different levels in Mazandaran university of medical science. J Bimonthly of Education Strategies in Medical Sciences., 11(3): 143-148. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher].
- Esmaeilpour-Bandboni M, Naderi Shad S, Kobrai F, Gholami-Chaboki B. (2017). Students’ Viewpoints about Academic Failure and Some Related Factors in Guilan University of Medical Sciences. J Research in Medical Education., 9(3): 72-65. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Fadavi roodsari A, Salehi K, Khodaie E, Moghadamzadeh A, javadipour M. (2021). Students and teachers' perception of university education and providing solutions for prevention of academic failure. J Bimonthly of Education Strategies in Medical Sciences., 13(6): 639-648. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ayob F, Bawar F A, Joekar S. (2020). Investigation of prevalence of depression among medical students of Balkh University of Medical Sciences, Afghanistan, J Feyz Journal of Kashan University of Medical Sciences., 24(3): 350-356. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ariapooran S, Amirimanesh M. (2020), Depression, Anxiety and Suicidal ideation of Nurses in the Outbreak of COVID-19: The Role of Demographic Variables, J Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences., 23(5): 724-739. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Phomprasith S, Karawekpanyawong N, Pinyopornpanish K, Jiraporncharoen W, Maneeton B, Phinyo P, Lawanaskol S. (2022). Prevalence and Associated Factors of Depression in Medical Students in a Northern Thailand University: A Cross-Sectional Study. Healthcare., 2022: 488. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- kalani N, Eslami Akbar R, Kooti W, Noori Ahmad Abadi M, Zare Marzoni H. (2015). The study of depression prevalence among the students of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences in 2013. J Zanko Journal of Medical Sciences., 15(47): 58-66. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Atienza-Carbonell B, Guillén V, Irigoyen-Otiñano M, Balanzá-Martínez V. (2022). Screening of substance use and mental health problems among Spanish medical students: A multicenter study. Journal of Affective Disorders., 311: 391-398. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- McKerrow I, Carney P A, Caretta-Weyer H, Furnari M, Miller Juve A J. (2020). Trends in medical students’ stress, physical, and emotional health throughout training. Medical Education Online., 25(1): 1709278. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Raghavendra N, Lokesh K. (2020). Assessment of spiritual health and its relation with perceived stress among medical students. A cross-sectional study. International Journal of Advanced Community Medicine, 3(1): 34-37. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [PDF]
- Zare Z, Jabraily M, Jabari N, Shikhi N, Sofyan K. (2014). The Viewpoint of Paramedical Students About Advisors’performance of Urmia University of Medical Sciences., 12(6): 420-426. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- LaFleur A K, White B J. (2010). Appreciating mentorship: The benefits of being a mentor. Professional Case Management., 15(6): 305-311. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Davoodabadi M, Kabir K, Shirazi M, Najafipoor S, Khalegi E. (2016). The Study of Mentor's Performance from Students View in Alborz University of Medical Sciences 2013. J Alborz University Medical Journal., 5(2): 87-94. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Chemishanova M. International Students' Expectations of and Satisfaction with Academic Advising at a Community College. 2018. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Coles A. The Role of Mentoring in College Access and Success. Research to Practice Brief., 2011. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Esmaeilpour M, Moafi L, Houshmand Dalir R, Akbarzadh R. (2019). Evaluation of the Student Satisfaction about the Performance of Faculty Members of Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences in 1397-98. Paramedical Sciences and Military Health., 14(1): 17-25. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Usmani A, Omaeer Q, Sultan ST. (2011). Mentoring undergraduate medical students: experience from Bahria University Karachi. J Pak Med Assoc., 61(8): 790. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Day K, Schwartz T, Rao V, Khokhar M, Miner T, Harrington D, Ryder B. (2016). Medical student clerkship performance and career selection after a junior medical student surgical mentorship program. The American Journal of Surgery., 211(2): 431-436. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Adhami A, Nouhi E, Mohammadalizadeh S, Jalili Z, Fattahi Z. (2008). Faculty members' attitude toward academic advising and counseling and their viewpoints about counseling duties. Iranian Association of Medical Education., 8(1):7-14. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Sh S, Seyfi S, Ehsani M, Pourghasem M (2012). Academic counselors’ attitude toward university counseling and counselors duties; Babol dental school. Iranian Quarterly of Education Strategies, 5(2): 83-88. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Keshavarz K, Bastani P, Gholami A, Abid F, Sotoudehnia A, Keshavarz G, Moradi N. (2021). Students and teachers᾽ Attitudes Toward counsultor Planning and Identify Problems and solutions. RME, 13(4): 35-44. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Tairi F, Sepehr S, Yousefi F, Zarezadeh Y. (2019). The rate of lectures attitude towards academic counseling and its related factors at Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences in 2016. Shenakht Journal of Psychology and Psychiatry., 6(2): 161-170. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Galehdar N, Jafari Mianaee S, Mohamadi S. (2013). Evaluation of supervisors’ performance in students’ views in Lorestan University of Medical Sciences. J Education and Ethics in Nursing., 2(2): 0-0. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ebrahimipour H, Arazi R, Shadnam Z, Nasrollahi S, Ebrahimipour S, Lael M E. (2015). Duties and Performance of Academic Advisors from the Students' Perspective. Research in Medical Education., 7(2): 69-77 [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Nazari R, Sharifnia S. (2010). Investigating the causes of nursing student drop out. J. Babol Univ. Medical Sci., 12(5): 90-94. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Mahdion Z, Khatony A, Abdi A, Jafary F. (2017). Assessment of Academic Failure Rate and Related Factors From the Perspective of Nursing Students of School of the Nursing and Midwifery Faculty, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, in the First Semester of 2011-2012. J Journal of Nursing Education., 5(5): 1-8. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Hasani M, Farshdi S. (2013). Investigating The Effect of Students Ratings of Faculty Members on Their Performance In Faculty Members and Heads of Educational Departments Opinion In Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. J Nursing and Midwifery Journal., 11(1): 1-13. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ranjbar M, Vahidshahi K, Mahmoudi M. (2007). Viewpoints of the attendings and medical students about the students’ evaluation of the attendings, Mazandaran, J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci., 16(56): 126-135. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Tricco, Andrea C, et al. (2018). PRISMA extension for scoping reviews (PRISMA-ScR): checklist and explanation, Annals of internal medicine., 169.7, 467-473. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]