Document Type : Original Article
Department of Agronomy, Faculty of Plant Production, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Gorgan, Iran
Background: Azivash (Corchorus olitorius L.) is an edible and medicinal plant that can be cooked either fresh or dried. It is cultivated in different regions including Asia and Africa. In the cultivation of wild okra, the possibility of obtaining herbage yield for fresh leaf consumption without negative consequence on seed yield can provide an alternative economic return. In addition, selecting a suitable sowing date to achieve the highest seed yield, can help seed producers maximize their yield per unit of land area during seed production.
Methods: To determine the effect of repeated cutting and sowing date on herbage and seed yield of Azivash (Corchorus olitorius L.), an experiment was conducted using a split-plot design based on a randomized complete block design with three sowing dates as the main plots, and three cutting treatments as sub-plots.
Results: The sowing date and repeated cutting had a significant effect on herbage yield, pod number per plant, seed number per pod, pod length, pod dry weight, and seed yield. In general, the treatment of not cutting (Control) on June 9th sowing date produced the highest seed yield (2,895 kg/ha). Conversely, the treatment of cutting twice on July 9th sowing date had the lowest seed yield (290 kg/ha).
Conclusion: Based on the results, it appears that the most suitable sowing date for achieving a seed yield of 2895 kg/ha is June 9th. However, if producers aim for higher income from agricultural land through dual-purpose herbage and seed production, sowing on June 9th with once cutting would result in a herbage yield of 33,467 kg/ha and a seed yield of 2,630 kg/ha in Gorgan region.
- a) Furumoto T, Wang R, Okazaki K, Afm F, Ali MI, Kondo A, Fukui H. Antitumor promoters in leaves of jute (Corchorus capsularis and Corchorus olitorius), Food Sci Technol Res; 2002; 8(3):239-43. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]; b) Velempini P, Riddoch I, Batisani N. Seed treatments for enhancing germination of wild okra (Corchorus olitorius), Exp Agric; 2003 Oct; 39(4):441-7.[Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Oyedele DJ, Asonugho C, Awotoye OO. Heavy metals in soil and accumulation by edible vegetables after phosphate fertilizer application, Electron. J. Environ. Agric. Food Chem; 2006; 5(4):1446-53. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ndlovu J, Afolayan AJ. Nutritional analysis of the South African wild vegetable Corchorus olitorius L, Asian J. Plant Sci; 2008; 7(6):615-8. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Roy A, Bandyopadhyay A, Mahapatra AK, Ghosh SK, Singh NK, Bansal KC, Koundal KR, Mohapatra T. Evaluation of genetic diversity in jute (Corchorus species) using STMS, ISSR and RAPD markers, Plant breeding; 2006 Jun; 125(3):292-7. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Grubben GJ, Denton OA. Plant resources of tropical Africa 2. Vegetables. Plant resources of tropical Africa 2, Vegetables; 2004. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Prance S G, Nesbitt M. (2004). The Cultural History of Plants. (p 31): Routledge, New York. [Crossref], [Publisher]
- Adegoke AA, Adebayo-Tayo BC. Phytochemical composition and antimicrobial effects of Corchorous olitorius leaf extracts on four bacterial isolates, J Med Plant Res; 2009; 3(3):155-9 [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Abd-Allah S. Variation and interrelationship of some Egyptian moloukhyia genotypes jew, s mallow (Corchorus oiiton'us L.), J Plant Prod; 2006 Apr 1; 31(4):2285-96. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Kumar N, Srivastava RK, Singh RK, Singh MV. Impact of sowing time and varieties on seed yield of jute in subtropical climatic zone of north eastern Uttar Pradesh, Natl Acad Sci Lett; 2013 Dec; 36:571-3. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Das H, Poddar P, Haque S, Pati S, Poddar R, Kundu CK. Seed yield and economics of white jute as influenced by different dates of sowing, spacing and topping schedule in Terai region of West Bengal, Int J Farm Sci; 2014; 4(4):51-8. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Abdul-Rafiu A M, Ajayi O O, Olomide O A K, Olofintoye T A J. (2018). Enhancement of herbage and seed yield in Corchorus olitorius through repeated cutting agrotechnique 1 2 1 3. Applied Tropical Agriculture, 23(2): 139-145. [PDF]
- Bovairi M, Shokoohfar A, Abadouz GR. Effect of Cutting Height and Seed Cutting Date on Grain yield and Yield Components in Berseem Clover (Trifolium alexandrinum L.), Research on Crop Ecophysiology; 2016 Jun 1; 11(2):104-11. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Iannucci A. Effects of harvest management on growth dynamics, forage and seed yield in berseem clover, Eur J Agron; 2001 Jul 1; 14(4):303-14. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Abdul-Baki AA, Bryan HH, Zinati GM, Klassen W, Codallo M, Heckert N. Biomass yield and flower production in sunn hemp: Effect of cutting the main stem, J Veg Crop Prod; 2001 May 30; 7(1):83-104. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Schippers RR. African indigenous vegetables: an overview of the cultivated species 2002. [Google Scholar]
- Ahmed M, Oladiaran JA. Effect of stem cutting and variety on shoot development and seed yield of jute mallow (Corchorus olitorious L.), Experimental Agriculture and Horticulture; 2012; 12(3):21-9. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ghorbani M H, Zainli A, Rahkan R. (2012). Investigating the possibility of planting Corchorus olitorius L in the climatic conditions of Gorgan. Research project report. Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Gorgan, iran. (p 20).
- Ghosh K, Kundu MK, Chowdary KA, Patra BC. Adjustment of date of sowing and topping to improve seed yield of Olitorius jute in New Alluvial Zone of West Bengal, J Crop Weed; 2017; 13(2):68-72. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Mollah MA, Tareq MZ, Rafiq ZA, Sarkar SA, Hossen B. Effects of Cutting Length and Position on the Seed Yield and Quality of Tossa Jute (Corchorus olitorius L.), The Agriculturists; 2018 Jan 1; 16(1):13-20. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Alam MA, Mollah MA, Rafiq ZA, Sarker MS, Rony MN, Tareq MZ. Effect of plant age for cuttings on the growth and seed yield in late season jute under different planting spacings, J. Expt. Biosci; 2019; 10(2):1-8. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Rashwan AM. Effect of sowing dates and plant spacing on growth and yield of some Jew's mallow ecotypess (corchorus olitorius L.) under South Valley condition, Assiut J. Agric. Sci; 2011; 42:391-413. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Haridy AG, Abbas HS, Mousa AA. Growth and Yield of Some Jew's Mallow (Corchorus olitorius L.) Ecotypes as Affected by Planting Dates and Foliar Application of Gibberellic and Humic Acids, Assiut J Agri Sci; 2019 Mar 1; 50(1):107-24. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ahmad JA, Iqbal A, Mahmood AT, Iqbal MA, Khan HZ, Abbas RN, Akbar NA, Maqsood MU. Effect of cutting management, seeding rates and sowing method on seed yield of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.), Pak. J. Bot; 2020 Aug 1; 52(4):1449-54. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Ghorbani M H, Mehghani F. (2013). The effect of planting date on the growth and performance of wild okra plant in Gorgan weather conditions. The first international congress and the 13th national congress of agricultural sciences and plant breeding, Karaj, Iran.
- Mohammad al-Taha A H, Name-Jari A, Abdullah A A A, Hamzah H A. (2007). The effect of planting date and spacing on the composition and leaf yield of wild okra plant in southern Iraq. Encyclopedia of Karbala University, 5(4): 69-73.
- Rekha S. (2017). Weather health indices for seed production of Jute (Corchorus Olitorius L.) under different sowing dates. Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University.
- Madakadze RM, Kodzanayi T, Mugumwa R. Effect of plant spacing and harvesting frequency on Corchorus olitorious leaf and seed yields, Afr Crop Sci, 2007 October; 2007:279-282). [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Mostofa MG, Al-Mamun M, Yahiya AS, Mia MM, Saha CK. Age of Cutting and Spacing Effects on Seed Yield of Tossa Jute (Corchorus olitoriusL.), American J Agri Sci; 2020; 7(2):25-9. [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- More SM, Pacharne DP. Seed yield and economics of jute (Corchorus olitorius) as influenced by different dates of sowing, spacing and topping management, Int J Agric Sci; 2017; 13(1):20-4. [Crossref], [Google Scholar], [Publisher]
- Khajapour M R. (2013). Principles and Basics of Agriculture (pp. 314-313): Academic Publishing Center of Isfahan Industrial Unit.
- Zakir Nejad S. (2018). Determining the most suitable planting date and number of cutting for dual-purpose barley under different treatment of nitrogen fertilizer in Ahvaz weather conditions. Physiology of agricultural plants, 1(3): 24_36.