Document Type : Original Article
Insect Population Toxicology Department, Central Agricultural Pesticides Laboratory, Agriculture Research Center, 12618, Giza, Egypt
Background: Pink bollworm, Pectinophora gossypiella Saunders (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) is one of the most economically devastating pests of cotton globally. Chemical control is the first line of defense, but has become ineffective in reducing yield losses caused by this pest. New management strategies against pink bollworm is urgently needed.
Methods: Field evaluations were conducted using the six pesticides were tested in two cropping seasons at a single dose, corresponding to their maximum recommended field rate of cotton in Egypt either with or without the egg parasitoid Trichogramma evanescens, TE (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae). Treatments were applied to plots of cotton in 27th and 20th of July, 2021 and 2022, respectively, against pink bollworm, and efficacy was calculated based on the plant damage caused by the larvae through the yield.
Results: The highest reduction in pink bollworm larval numbers along with the least boll damage were found in azadirachtin, chlorantraniliprole, or hexaflumuron + T. evanescens (TE) plots. During both years, it was observed that plots treated with biological control agent and some pesticides led to a significant increase in cotton yield. The parasitism rates were 28.88, 24.19, 23.66, and 20.13% in the plots treated with azadirachtin, hexaflumuron, chlorantraniprol, and spinosad and only 2.80 and 1.57% in the plots treated with lambda-cyhalothrin and profenofos versus 33.62% in the control plot, there was difference significantly among treatments (p ≤ 0.05). These findings underscore the potential use of TE combined with pesticides (mainly azadirachtin) to control pink bollworm larvae.
Conclusion: The promising results were achieved when combined TE with azadirachtin, the combined treatment significantly decreased the population of the pink bollworm and crop damage.
- Croft BA. Arthropod biological control agents and pesticides, John Wiley and Sons Inc; 1990.
- Ismail S, Abdel-Galil FA, Hafez S, Abu El-Ghiet UM. Influence of Some Insecticides on The Incidence of Common Lepidopterous Insect-Pests in Cotton Field, Egypt Acad J Biolog Sci; 2020 Jun 1; 12(1):23-30. https://doi.org/10.21608/eajbsf.2020.73377
- Parmar VR, Patel CC. Pink bollworm: a notorious pest of cotton: a review, AGRES–An Int. e-J; 2016; 5(2):88-97.
- Ismail SM. Influence of some insecticide sequences on the injurious insect-pests of cotton plants, Bull Natl Res Cent; 2019 Dec; 43:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s42269-019-0190-y
- Sasikumar K, Vimala R. Field efficacy of various insecticides against pink bollworm Pectinophora gossypiella (Saunders) in cotton, J Cotton Res Deve; 2020; 34(1):99-104.
- IRAC, Insecticide Resistance Action Committee. Dec; 2021. https://www.irac-online.org/about/resistance
- Ismail SM. Field evaluation of recommended compounds to control some pests attacking cotton and their side effects on associated predators, J Biol Chem Res; 2019; 36(2):113-21.
- Stark JD, Vargas R, Banks JE. Incorporating ecologically relevant measures of pesticide effect for estimating the compatibility of pesticides and biocontrol agents, J Econ Entomol; 2007 Aug 1; 100(4):1027-32. https://doi.org/10.1603/0022-0493(2007)100[1027:iermop]2.0.co;2
- Gentz MC, Murdoch G, King GF. Tandem use of selective insecticides and natural enemies for effective, reduced-risk pest management, BioCon; 2010 Mar 1; 52(3):208-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2009.07.012
- Hassan SA. The mass rearing and utilization of Trichogramma to control lepidopterous pests: achievements and outlook, Pestic Sci; 1993; 37(4):387-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.2780370412
- Malik FM. Life table studies of Trichogrammatoidea bactrae (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) an effective biological agent of Pink bollworm (Pectinophora gossypiella, Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) of cotton (Gossypium spp.), Pak J Biol Sci; 2000; 3(12):2106-8. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2000.2106.2108
- Naranjo S, Gordh G, Moratorio M. Inundative release of Trichogrammatoidea bactrae for biological control of pink bollworm, Cotton: A College of Agriculture Report, 1992; 110–16. http://hdl.handle.net/10150/208636
- Sterk G, Hassan SA, Baillod M, Bakker F, Bigler F, Blümel S, Bogenschütz H, Boller E, Bromand B, Brun J, Calis JN. Results of the seventh joint pesticide testing programme carried out by the IOBC/WPRS-Working Group ‘Pesticides and Beneficial Organisms’, BioControl; 1999 Mar; 44:99-117. http://hdl.handle.net/1854/LU-119975
- Lundgren JG, Heimpel GE, Bomgren SA. Comparison of Trichogramma brassicae (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) augmentation with organic and synthetic pesticides for control of cruciferous Lepidoptera, Environ Entomol; 2002 Dec 1; 31(6):1231-9. https://doi.org/10.1603/0046-225X-31.6.1231
- Hewa-Kapuge S, McDougall S, Hoffmann AA. Effects of methoxyfenozide, indoxacarb, and other insecticides on the beneficial egg parasitoid Trichogramma nr. brassicae (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) under laboratory and field conditions, J Econ Entomol; 2003 Aug 1; 96(4):1083-90. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/96.4.1083
- Vianna UR, Pratissoli D, Zanuncio JC, Lima ER, Brunner J, Pereira FF, Serrão JE. Insecticide toxicity to Trichogramma pretiosum (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) females and effect on descendant generation, Ecotoxicol; 2009 Feb; 18:180-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-008-0270-5
- Jamshidnia A, Abdoli S, Farrokhi S, Sadeghi R. Efficiency of spinosad, Bacillus thuringiensis and Trichogramma brassicae against the tomato leafminer in greenhouse, BioCon; 2018 Oct; 63:619-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10526-018-9893-5
- Viteri DM, Sarmiento L, Linares AM, Cabrera I. Efficacy of biological control agents, synthetic insecticides, and their combinations to control tobacco budworm [Heliothis virescens (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)] in pigeon pea, Crop Prot; 2019 Aug 1; 122:175-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2019.05.008
- Lyons DB, Helson BV, Bourchier RS, Jones GC, McFarlane JW. Effects of azadirachtin-based insecticides on the egg parasitoid Trichogramma minutum (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae), Can Entomol; 2003 Oct; 135(5):685-95. https://doi.org/10.4039/n02-113
- Almeida GD, Zanuncio JC, Pratissoli D, Andrade GS, Cecon PR, Serrão JE. Effect of azadirachtin on the control of Anticarsia gemmatalis and its impact on Trichogramma pretiosum, Phytoparasitica; 2010 Nov; 38:413-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12600-010-0124-6
- Zhao X, Wu C, Wang Y, Cang T, Chen L, Yu R, Wang Q. Assessment of toxicity risk of insecticides used in rice ecosystem on Trichogramma japonicum, an egg parasitoid of rice lepidopterans, J Econ Entomol; 2012 Feb 1; 105(1):92-101. https://doi.org/10.1603/EC11259
- Deshmukh YV, Undirwade DB, Dadmal SM. Effect of some newer insecticides on parasitisation by Trichogramma species under laboratory condition, J Entomol Zool Stud; 2018; 6(3):228-31.
- Afshari A, Hamzepour Chenari E, Iraji A, Asghari Larimi M. Lethal and sublethal effects of thiodicarb and hexaflumuron on egg parasitoid, Trichogramma brassicae Bezdenko under laboratory conditions, Plant Protection (Scientific Journal of Agriculture); 2018 Apr 21; 41(1):75-89. https://doi.org/10.22055/ppr.2018.22709.1349
- Mahankuda B, Sawai HR, Gawande RW, Neharkar PS, Nagdeote VG. Effect of insecticide residues on the adult survival rate of Trichogramma chilonis under laboratory condition, J Entomol Zool Stud; 2019; 7(2):1349-51.
- 25. Uma S, Jacob S, Lyla KR. Acute contact toxicity of selected conventional and novel insecticides to Trichogramma japonicum Ashmead (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae), J Biopestic; 2014; 7:133.
- Ghorbani M, Saber M, Bagheri M, Vaez N. Effects of diazinon and fipronil on different developmental stages of Trichogramma brassicae Bezdenko (Hym.; Trichogrammatidae), J Agric Sci Technol; 2016 Sep 10; 18(5):1267-78.
- Liu TX, Zhang Y. Side effects of two reduced-risk insecticides, indoxacarb and spinosad, on two species of Trichogramma (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) on cabbage, Ecotoxicology; 2012 Nov; 21:2254-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-012-0981-5
- Stecca CS, Bueno AF, Pasini A, Silva DM, Andrade K, Zirondi Filho DM. Impact of insecticides used in soybean crops to the egg parasitoid Telenomus podisi (Hymenoptera: Platygastridae), Neotrop Entomol; 2018 Apr; 47:281-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13744-017-0552-9